Who Am I ?

   Who am I? I am a thirty something stay at home mother of two. I am new. New to the autism world and new to the blogging world. My college 1A teacher Ms. Adams would probably say that I should never join the blogging world. Something about my writing not having, "sparkle", lucky you.
    I was never even a reader of blogs until I started down the crazy rabbit hole called autism. Once I realized that there was a whole network of other moms and dads who had, "been there done that," I couldn't stop reading. At times hearing what the other families, like mine, have gone thru were the very words that I needed to make it thru the day.
   My son was diagnosed eight months ago as moderately Autistic. He has additional language and learning disabilities. You often hear that knowledge is power. That is quite the understatement.  For me that seventeen paged report was not just empowering, it was life changing. For almost six years I had been living as a special needs mom of one with a barely a year younger sister. I had the same struggles with zero support. My son missed out on five, almost six years of early childhood interventions. I had weeks, nights and months where I was at the very end of my preverbal rope. The day that I got the diagnosis I realized that my son was trying and doing extremely well with what he had to work with. I was not a failure and neither was he.
   As I began to read blogs and other pages about autism, I had epiphany after epiphany. New thoughts began to sink in. I suddenly realized that I was the, "they." The problems that I had always thought of as "THEIR" problem was also my problems and challenges. This is the world that my son is going to grow up in. Did I really want him treated as a broken, damaged person?The world that we live in is not kind to those who move to a different drum. There is a constant push to conform. Before I threw around ideas and words that weren't hurtful to me. It wasn't me or my beloved child that I was hurting...little did I know that it was.
 Today is  new chapter. I may never be read by anyone, but, I will write words anyways. If by some off chance there is someone reading this, welcome to my crazy world. I am just another blogger and mother of two, who plans to change the world, one person at a time.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Blogging"! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. *Ü*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts