September 11th

  Where were you when you first heard? Do you remember that doomed day as vividly as I do? I remember that I had just sat down to catch up on the morning news. I flipped on the TV and left the room to get my first cup of coffee. When I came back in and sat down it took me a few seconds to realize that the scene before my eyes was real. The images before me looked like a clip from a King Kong movie.
   One large passenger jet was crashing into the first Tower. Before I could even catch my breath the second jet went into the second Tower. It took a few more seconds for me to realize that it was real and that it was a replay of events from even earlier in the morning.

 That morning was the first time ever that I had ever felt that level of sorrow and shock. 

   As the doomed day unfolded the details only made the horror worse. The hundreds of firefighters who died as the buildings collapsed. The third jet that was crashed into the Pentagon and the fourth Jet that never reached it's target. All of those lives lost here on American soil, where we should have been safe.
  That day in September was so quiet that it was eerie. All of the flights thru out the country were suspended and everyone was staying off the road. I remember that the classes at the local college were canceled so that people could stay with their loved ones. Everyone was glued to their TV's trying to make sense of it all.

I wept, our country wept...Our innocents was taken from us forever.

  Today is September 11, 2015 and I still can't believe that it has been fourteen years. During those years our country has never truly healed. Instead our fears have only grown stronger and deeper.  A new generation of adults have grown up not knowing what it is like to live in a world free from the fear of terror. We live in a state of constant vigilance. Fearing for a repeat of 9/11, or, something even worse.
   As our nation pauses to remember the anniversary of that horrible day, take a moment and hug your loved ones. Send prayers of peace for those who don't have their loved ones to hug anymore.  I will never forget. we, as a country, must never forget this tragedy. Or the lives lost that one day in September will be in vain.



















Comments

Popular Posts